Passion, Love of Theatre Drives the Fourth Emerald Queen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Janelle Rodriguez is our fourth Emerald Queen.

Staff Photo

Staff Photo

Staff Photo

Jazmine Ramirez, Writer

At most school functions, the first thing you notice on Janelle Rodriguez is her towering crown. As our fourth Emerald Queen, she wears the emerald jeweled crown–just as those before her did.

Janelle was named Emerald Queen at the end of her junior year, at the annual Emerald Queen pageant. At the pageant, community members who served as judges were impressed with her ability to articulate the meaning of what it means to be a Wolverine. Contestants are asked to share their ideas about uplifting school spirit, being a student here, and suggestions on how to be more involved.

Upon completing her reign this year, Janelle will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship.

From a young age Janelle never saw herself as overly feminine or competing in a pageant, however she was motivated because she felt it was time for the title to return to a Wolverine Theatre member.

At first she was hesitant but she decided she could step up on the stage to represent Wolverine Theater—just as she’s done countless of times before.

“I was super excited and nervous but it felt like such an honor to receive that award, to be able to fill in the shoes of the next Emerald Queen,” she said. The first and second Emerald Queens were also prominent members of the student group.

“It was theater that gave me the confidence and ability to put myself out there, as well as my passion for everything I do,” she said.

Staff Photo
Rodriguez in her official Emerald Queen head shot.

Aside from drama, Janelle has taken part in many other activities such as the National Honor Society and Wolverine Cheer.

Janelle plans to graduate with honors and an associate’s degree in interdisciplinary studies from South Texas College this May. Once she graduates, she hopes to attend Texas State University and major in biology. She’d like to become a dermatologist.