Wolverine Theatre To Present New Play

The Show, Kimberly Akimbo, Tells The Story of a Teenager with Rare Disease

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wolverine Theatre To Present New Play

Jennifer Alvarez, sophomore, is Kimberly.

Courtesy of Wolverine Theatre

Courtesy of Wolverine Theatre

Courtesy of Wolverine Theatre

Zorayda Sanchez, Writer

The Wolverine Theatre will premiere the 2018 fall show, Kimberly Akimbo, Friday, December 7 at 7pm at the Robert Gomez, Jr. Performing Arts Center. Following the success of Tarzan, the stage musical, the theatre group hopes to entertain audiences once again—this time with a play.

Kimberly Akimbo is a show about a teenage girl with a rare disease that makes her age four times faster than normal. The humorous yet heartwarming play showcases the struggles of growing up in a dysfunctional family, being an outcast, and experiencing love for the first time, all while trying to deal with a rare fatal disease.

“I hope that our kids have fun and enjoy telling this story, it’s a very slice of life kind of story, a very personal story that I think will relate to a lot of kids as far as being different and outsiders,” Gabriel Ramirez, director, said.

The play will run through December 8 at 2pm and 7pm. Admission is $4. Sophomore Jennifer Alvarez plays the title character.

“I want people to come and enjoy the theatre experience,” Ramirez, said. “We like to get our community involved and interested in coming into our theater and watching these kids perform because they just put so much work and time and dedication into it, I feel like they deserve to be rewarded with good crowds that can really enjoy and appreciate what they’ve been working on for so long.”