The Memorialist

• April 8STAAR EOC State Exams this Week: English 1 on Tuesday. English 2 on Thursday.

• November 26AVAILABLE RESTROOMS: Upstairs A&D, Downstairs B&C

Wolverine Theatre Presents a Breathtaking Tarzan

Caleb+De+La+Torre%2C+senior%2C+plays+Tarzan.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Caleb De La Torre, senior, plays Tarzan.

Jazmine Ramirez

Jazmine Ramirez

Jazmine Ramirez

Vanessa Diaz, Staff Writer

The Wolverine Theatre Company has accomplished many awards within the past few years regarding their yearly fall children’s show. Most recently at last year’s 2018 Palm Awards, the Wolverine Thespians won the “Best Ensemble in a Musical” award. This year’s fall show was Tarzan the Musical, it was firstly done back in 2013 under the direction of J. Juarez, R. Ramirez, and C. Vela. When questioned, the 2013 take of Tarzan was by far most everyone’s favorite play performed by Wolverine Theatre. This year’s Tarzan the Musical is receiving comments of, “best Memorial show yet,” “Absolutely stunning,” and “Incredible set design and show presence.” With having more than two shows of almost full standing ovations, the play that was dedicated to late Roberto Gomez Jr. was breathtaking and should not be missed.

​As an individual that saw both runs of Tarzan the Musical in 2013 and 2018, I instantly had very high standards for the play. The set was incredible and well done by the theater tech students under the supervision of Mr. Ramirez. Choreography and blocking for both ensemble the apes and flora & fauna groups were very well rehearsed and in sync. There were times where I caught myself paying a little too much attention at the dancers in times where they were only meant to be a background presence. Behind the scenes of the show, all the technical aspects were very well done by the high school students standing backstage and behind the tech booth; light and sound cues were timed perfectly and was not too alarming or too quiet.

The family-bonded chemistry between Tarzan, Kala, and Kerchack was very emotional and mirrorable to families in real societies of tough love and a desire too deep to where sometimes it hurts. The sparks were flying everywhere when Jane and Tarzan shared the stage as they merged into one and found that the greatest love is created by helping each other and getting to know one another greatly. The second act greatly picked up the pace as Porter and his crewmen stole the show with their whimsical attitudes and energy-boosting characters.

Clayton and Porter truly stood out the most because while having supporting roles, both actors managed to make the best out of their roles and stole the show by giving the audience many laughs. Kerchack and Kala were perfectly given to the right actors as they portrayed two loving parents very well and are very talented individuals with being strong in both acting and singing throughout the show. Tarzan and Jane made the show tie in together by having a great chemistry and the vocals were great as well.

Although I was very intrigued, there were few mistakes that were not too noticeable for the audience so that is forgivable- after all it is a high school production. After watching the show, I can easily be proud of all the hours, blood, sweat, and tears these future thespians put into the making of Tarzan the Musical and bringing it to life. The 2018 production is truly a hit and was greatly worth the $7 ticket stub. We look forward to their next play this school year, one act is around the corner so stay tuned for what is in store for Wolverine Theatre.

About the Contributors
Vanessa Diaz, Writer

[email protected]

Vanessa Diaz is a junior and is enjoying her second year on the yearbook staff. She is excited to start writing for the school...

Jazmine Ramirez, Writer & Photographer

[email protected]
Jazmine Ramirez is a second year photographer and writer for the The Memorialist. She has been a member of the wolverine...