Career Fair Day Educates Visiting Middle School Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Law Enforcement students share the benefits of their program with middle school students.

Michelle Rodriguez

Michelle Rodriguez

Michelle Rodriguez

Karla Carrazco, Staff Writer

Tons of young and eager faces stroll throughout the brightly lit gymnasium. With the floor lined with countless decorated booths, each were manned by upperclassmen and teachers armed with unique presentations hoping that the middle school students will choose one of the many careers on display.

This was the scene of Wednesday, November 28th when organizations and Career Technology Education (CTE) classes joined to educate the incoming freshmen about the classes that will be available for them the following year.

“I think it’s a good idea to have incoming freshmen get a familiar sense with our school’s classes for their future.” Samantha Villegas, senior, pharmacology student, said, “It even educated me as well.”

Rather than learning in a classroom during the ongoing school day, student helpers were given the opportunity to educate the underclassmen about their own knowledge pertaining to their club- which they actually found to be refreshing.

“The energy of the place felt almost stress relieving; the things we were doing excited us so the environment was filled with good vibes,” Daniela Montalvo, junior, cosmetology student, said.

From presenting organs to explaining welding, high school students demonstrated to the younger students examples of their clubs activities in order to give an idea of what they will be able to do when they enter as a freshman the next following year.

“My favorite part has to be when I see the students can’t follow the line when wearing the ‘drunk’ goggles,” Leslie Zuniga, Skills USA, senior, said.

The positive atmosphere not only affected the high school students on their day off, but it seemed as if the 8th graders were in on the action as well.

“The 8th graders were very excited and energetic,” Karyme Barbosa, senior, Graphic design student, said, “All smiling faces and they even asked lots of questions as well.”

At the end of the day, high and middle school students left with a little something more than just a break from class time.

“There are truly no words to describe on how I felt educating those incoming freshmen,” Montalvo, said.