Robert Contreras: An Inspiring Law Enforcement Teacher With a Passion for Teaching

Mr.+Contreras+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Contreras

Mr. Contreras

Staff Photo

Mr. Contreras

Staff Photo

Staff Photo

Mr. Contreras

Viviana Silguero, Staff Writer

Robert Contreras may not be known by the entire world, but to his students he is a great teacher that has gone above and beyond teaching law enforcement.

Contreras graduated PSJA High School in 1989 and pursued a college degree at Texas State University where he majored in law enforcement. Soon after, he decided to attend Texas Southmost Police Academy.

“I graduated from Bears in 1989 and attended Southwest University and was majoring in Law Enforcement when I decided to attend Texas Southmost Police Academy which I graduated from in 1993,” he said.

Contreras became a police officer for the Alamo police department after graduating from the academy. He changed departments to be assigned at Palmview, and then worked for Hidalgo. In 2009, Contreras became a teacher  at PSJA Early College High School. Due to the valuable experience Contreras earned from his  time as a police officer and strong character, he has proved to be an outstanding teacher.

“After retiring as an officer, teaching just felt right. I wanted to still be involved with law enforcement, so what better way than to teach it to our youths,” Contreras said.

For 9 years, Contreras has been able to share his experiences with his students. Many believe his teaching has left a lasting impact. Some have even decided to pursue careers in  the law enforcement such as DPS, prison guard, and local police officers.

“I chose law because I have always wanted to help people and my goal as a teacher is to help my students take advantage of the opportunities Memorial gives them” Contreras, said.