The Student News Site of PSJA Memorial Early College High School

Real-World Issues and Emotional Performances Lift “The Hate U Give”

Most progressive films nowadays attempt to relate to millennials and the rising generation Z by creating an open-minded perspective- which quite frankly has gotten pushy and annoying. Sans The Hate You Give, a movie so raw it feels like a memory. The film takes the viewer through an incredible ride in the eyes of young Starr Carter, a young black teenager in the financially disadvantaged neighborhood, Garden Heights. Just like most book adaptations the director edited, altered, and created new scenes throughout the movie. This daring strategy completely ruined the 2018 adaptation of Everyday but somehow George Tillman Jr.- the director of the movie- made it work to the story’s advantage; filling in plot holes and even developing characters so well you wonder whether the film was really based off a young adult novel. The emotions felt throughout the movie can only be described as raw since the viewer is placed face to face with police brutality, harsh realities, and modern-day racism.

Though not all is perfect, two incredibly big changes felt off throughout the entire movie: the casting of Kj Apa and the director’s dialogue for the character King. Despite his exceptional acting skills, Apa’s persona was not a true fit for the role since between his character, Chris, and Starr, their romantic relationship lacked chemistry and felt forced onto the audience. Anthony Mackie, the actor who played King, was not given much to say therefore he couldn’t return anything. In the book King is a hidden power, silently controlling Garden Heights from the shadows as a powerful reminder of where they are. Unfortunately, the movie replaced his feud of power against Starr’s dad with a parenting war between the two. These bold choices probably have an explanation, but until then they’ll continue to be the only two misses in the movie.

All in all, the brute honesty of real-world issues along with excellent emotional performances heighten the standards for what a good adaptation should be. Truly a movie for modern Americans.

The Memorialist • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in