Varsity & Symphonic Band Earn Sweepstakes Ratings

Band+director+Michael+Murray+conducts+his+varsity+band+at+the+UIL+contest.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Band director Michael Murray conducts his varsity band at the UIL contest.

Alexis Riojas, Staff Writer

On April 16 & 17, PSJA Memorial’s varsity and symphonic bands performed their UIL sets at UTRGV. Inside the UTRGV auditorium, both bands performed their set to judges and a small audience. At this competition the bands both received a superior rating for their outstanding performances

“As a senior I’m so glad to be in the Symphonic band throughout my high school years,” Alexis Riojas, senior, said.  “April 16th was my last time going up on that stage and performing to the judges… I knew that it was going to be a great one. I will remember this day knowing I spent each memorable day with my band family.”

After their performances on stage and in the sight-reading room the varsity band received their prestigious superior ratings. This is not only a significant accomplishment to the band directors and the seniors, but as well to the freshmen that have been a part of this achievement in their first year in a high school band, and hopefully for their next years to come.

“My first year in high school UIL band was a blast, I loved the rush and excitement of performing for the judges and in sight-reading. All the hard work and dedication of after school practices was worth it when our band directors announced our band had earned sweepstakes [superior ratings]. Overall my first year of band was amazing,” Adriana Garcia, freshman, said.

All in all, earning a superior rating from their hard work has been a memorable and exciting experience for both bands.

“UIL has been such an amazing experience, I have done UIL for 5 years now and it’s been such an excitement afterwards to find out we succeeded together as a family,” Elaine Riojas, junior, said.