UIL Journalism Team Advances to Regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Karen Carrazco, Staff Writer

At the district UIL Academic Meet held in La Joya, the PSJA Memorial UIL Journalism veteran team earned 2nd place overall and 1st place freshman team on Friday, March 29. Nestor Cano, Josephine Martinez, Israel Macdonald, and Serina Kornegay have all advanced to the regional meet held at UTSA.

I’m so happy for the whole team. They’ve attended so many practice meets and it showed at district,”Aaron Lozano, advisor, said. “I’m really happy that freshman Israel MacDonald has advanced to the region contest. We haven’t had a freshman advanced to region since our other UIL rock-star Zorayda Sanchez.”

Israel Macdonald earned 1st place in veteran Copy Editing, freshman Feature Writing, freshman News Writing, 2nd in freshman Editorial Writing, and 3rd in freshman Headline Writing. With his many accomplishments, MacDonald qualifies for one event at the regional contest

“I’m really excited about the chance to advance to regionals,”MacDonad said. “This is my first year, and I am hoping to compete at the state meet this year.”

Nestor Cano, junior, who placed 2nd in veteran News Writing, advanced to the UIL regional journalism competition as well.

“This year we have a good, solid team,” Cano said. I am very proud of the work we have put in to make it this far.”

Along with these students, Serina Kornegay, senior, advanced to the regional contest after placing 1st in veteran Headline Writing.

“Regionals is a lot different from our usual Saturday meets since they’re a lot more competitive but we’re really excited to go and compete,” Kornegay said.

This upcoming Friday, these the UIL Journalism team will travel to UTSA to compete to earn their spots at the state meet held at UT Austin. Good luck UIL Journalism!