The Memorialist

• January 21SENIORS ONLY: Class of 2019 Panoramic Pic today. Wait for announcement for instructions..

• November 26AVAILABLE RESTROOMS: Upstairs A&D, Downstairs B&C

Cheer Team Takes it to State

Our+cheerleading+squad+takes+the+stage+at+the+annual+UIL+State+Spirit+contest+on+January+19th+in+Fort+Worth%2C+Texas.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheer Team Takes it to State

Our cheerleading squad takes the stage at the annual UIL State Spirit contest on January 19th in Fort Worth, Texas.

Karen Carrazco

Karen Carrazco

Karen Carrazco

Karen Carrazco, Writer

Cheerleaders across Texas traveled to Fort Worth in January in full dress and athletic gear, ready for the annual UIL Texas State Spirit Competition in Fort Worth on January 19th.

After a season of cheering at football, volleyball and basketball games; weeks of practice, stunting, and perfecting routines, the girls were ready to display their school spirit for everyone across the state.

“During the season, games are as important for us as it is for the teams we are cheering on,” said Cheer Captain Alexis Cruz. “The Spirit Competition allows us to show just how hard we have been working. It means everything to us.”

Aside from the competition, the trip served as a bonding experience.

“Over the course of this year and the trip, we have really become a team,” said sophomore Natali Acha. “We have each others’ backs and we have learned to truly trust each other.”

Each team had the opportunity to perform on stage three different times to lead the audience through typical performance pieces. The crowd leading competition provided the team the opportunity to get the audience involved through a cheer while the fight song and band chant highlighted school spirit in collaboration with the band. With very little time between each performance, the teams had little time to relax before prepping for their next routine.

“This is different than competitive cheer outside of school. It’s all about who can show the most spirit and showing off what we have worked on all year,” said senior Ariana Caballero.

After a tumultuous competition, the team didn’t land a spot in the finals, however an outstanding display of spirit got them some well-earned praise from their coach. With high expectations, this is the first year Renée Palacios coaches the Wolverine Cheer Squad.

“This is a very energetic, spirited squad. We have had a great season, and I am proud of their accomplishments,” said Palacios.