13 Seniors Participate in Latinas In Progress

The Hispanic Women's Network of Texas offers mentorship program to LIP participants.

LIP+is+a+program+run+by+the+Hispanic+Women%27s+Network+of+Texas.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

LIP is a program run by the Hispanic Women's Network of Texas.

Owen Ochoa, Staff Writer

With the beginning of the Class of 2019’s last semester came the kick-off of scholarship season. Luckily, 13 fortunate seniors got a jump start to this season toward the end of last semester.

Amaris Cano, Amy Huang, Brittney Salcido, Itzel Saucedo, Jacqueline Martinez-Perez, Janelle Rodriguez, Jennifer Crossman, Julia Llanas, Karla Carrazco, Karynna De Los Santos, Maria “Max” Colin, Serina Kornegay, and Sylvia Fonseca received an acceptance email into The Hispanic Women’s Network of Texas (HWNT) RGV Chapter’s 2018-2019 “Latinas in Progress” (LIP) Program last fall and have been active participants in the program since then.

The LIP Program aims to mentor senior high school Latinas who agree to go through the six-month program. LIP exposes them to college life and provides them with the tools needed to succeed in their personal and professional life and consists of five learning sessions. The sessions teach them to learn more about applying to college and college life; to improve their writing skills; to be more assertive; the importance of civic participation; health and wellness tips and other important life skills; and college campus safety.

“I’ve attended every session since November. Each session covers a different topic that prepares young Latinas, like myself, for their future both college and career wise,” noted Max Colin.

Although the LIP Program is designed for senior high school Latinas, one PSJA Memorial ECHS non-Latina got accepted into the program. Her name: Amy Huang.

“Getting accepted into the LIP Program made me realize that being a Latina isn’t necessarily what’s in your blood but how you grew up. Latinas are ambitious and successful women that have preserved and overcome obstacles,” Huang said.

At the end of the LIP Program, Memorial’s Fortunate 13 will be eligible to compete for scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $2,500. February 2 marks their fourth session for the enriching LIP Program.