Owen Ochoa Awarded Border Patrol Head Of Class Recognition

Serina Kornegay, Editor In Chief

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018, Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol announced December’s Head of the Class recipients at a beautiful ceremony at Texas A&M University Higher Education Center. Among these students was PSJA Memorial’s star student, Owen Ochoa, senior and senior class president.

Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol presented seniors from 14 high schools with the prestigious Head of the Class award. For over 20 years, the Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol has proudly recognized outstanding high school seniors for their excellent academic achievements and significant community service.  At the culmination of the school year, a committee selects the top Head of the Class recipients for the prestigious Border Patrol Youth of the Year award. Ochoa was nominated by his counselor, Mrs. Gloria Gutierrez,  who has known him throughout his entire high school career.

At the ceremony, Ochoa, sat next to border patrol agents and recipients from other schools. He was served nice meal of chicken sandwiches, and given a plaque. After eating his delicious meal, Ochoa presented a speech to the crowd.

“I was nervous at first, but after a while I forgot my nerves and felt relaxed on stage” Ochoa, said.

Other than Ochoa, Rio Grande Valley Sector Acting Chief Patrol Agent Raul Ortiz was the keynote speaker for the event. According to the U.S Customs and Border Protection website, Chief Ortiz congratulated the students on their academic achievements, service to community, and delivered a strong message to the students.

“I’m very honored to be a recipient of this prestigious award, and to have participated at this event,” Ochoa, said.