The Memorialist

• January 21SENIORS ONLY: Class of 2019 Panoramic Pic today. Wait for announcement for instructions..

• November 26AVAILABLE RESTROOMS: Upstairs A&D, Downstairs B&C

HOSA and Skills USA Organize Blanket Donation Drive

Melody Garza, Staff Writer

Imagine not having the safety of a home, where inside there awaits soft blankets to use as a shield against the freezing winter season. Unfortunately, this is the reality for many families and individuals of the Rio Grande Valley who are unable to afford heaters and blankets. However, two PSJA Memorial organizations have teamed together to help combat this issue.

Currently, HOSA chapter 7014 and Skills USA are collecting blanket donations till the end of this week.  The idea came from Mrs. Elizondo, the HOSA sponsor, as she wanted to find a plan that will lend a helping hand to the less fortunate in the Rio Grande Valley.

“My intention was to help the citizens of our community, but most importantly for our students to learn how to give something away without expecting anything in return,” Melva Elizondo, HOSA 7014 sponsor, said.

Most definitely, there are many people in need of warmth for the winter, and being able to help those in our own community is the least Memorial students can do.

“The blankets will be donated to a local church in Alamo where the pastor or priest will conduct the distribution among his or her congregation based on their needs, “ Jennifer Torres, HOSA President of chapter 7014, said.

Donating these blankets will also teach the members of HOSA and Skills USA important life lessons. They will learn that helping others means not expecting a reward in the end because charity should be done with the sole intention to give to those selflessly.

“Students work collectively and collaboratively in collecting donations by doing so, students develop their leadership skills and their teamwork skills. I also hope it opens the student’s hearts and they realize that they still need to give to the community without receiving hours. “ Linda Gutierrez, Skills USA sponsor, said.